Unclaimed Money In KS: The United States has more than $50 Billion that is unclaimed. Some of this might be yours!
There are many ways to find out if you have any unclaimed money. You need to know the details of each State’s rules for obtaining unclaimed property. We’ll tell you how to find unclaimed money in Kansas.
What falls into the Kansas Category of Unclaimed money?
Unclaimed money refers to money that is not claimed and is considered abandoned. Kansas holds as high as $187 million worth of unclaimed property.
The funds are transferred to the Kansas State Treasurer if banks or other businesses fail to locate the rightful owner.
Unclaimed money will remain there until someone with the right comes along to claim it.
There are many reasons money can go missing.
How can no one own billions of dollars? They did belong to someone, and they are now owned by someone else. You need to find out if they are yours and then go and claim them. For example, you could be eligible for unclaimed money left behind by a deceased relative.
The table below shows the most common reasons that money can be lost.
Types of Kansas Unclaimed Money
Many lose track of their bank accounts, stocks, and other assets. This could happen to anyone. The State Treasurer should do all they can to assist the rightful owners or heirs in obtaining unclaimed assets in Kansas.
These are the most commonly unclaimed assets in this State:
- Insurance money
- Court deposits
- Contents for safe-deposit boxes
- Savings accounts for the dormant.
- Dividends in stock and cash
- Utility deposits
- Checking accounts that are not in use
Is there a way to prevent money from becoming unclaimed property?
There are many ways to ensure that your assets don’t become unclaimed. These general rules can be applied to all states.
- Please keep track of all your insurance policies, bank deposits, utility deposits, stock certificates, broker accounts, and other financial information and keep them safe.
- Stay in touch with all financial institutions annually.
- At least once per year, withdraw money from your accounts.
- You must respond to all mail sent by institutions that keep your money.
- Keep your financial records up-to-date and safe.
- Cash your checks regularly
- Please let the appropriate institutions know if you need to change your address.
- You can trust an advisor or a relative to locate your records.
Although no one can guarantee that your assets will be safe or protected from being unclaimed, these tips can help to reduce the likelihood of this happening.
Kansas has a time limit for claiming money.
The money can be claimed by the owners or inheritors of the assets at any time. The funds can be claimed at any time except the following:
- Stock properties cannot be terminated within six months. However, the proceeds can be applied to the property of the owner or heir.
- The safe-deposit boxes must be sold within three years. Any money earned from the sale will go toward the property of the owner.
How to Find Unclaimed Money in Kansas on Your Own
There are several options available if you search for unclaimed Kansas money that could be yours. For example, some institutions provide the ability to search for your social security number. Look at the table below for your options in Kansas.
Is it possible to search for unclaimed money in Kansas?
How to Find Unclaimed Money in Kansas Online
You will need the following information if you want to search online for unclaimed assets:
- Visit the Kansas State Treasurer’s website.
- Enter the following information:
- Last or business name
- Optional: First name or initial
- Optional: Middle name or initial
- Please check that I have read the Property Search Disclaimer.
- Choose GO
If you are entitled to claim these assets, a list should be made.
How to Find Unclaimed Money in Kansas via Email
These steps will allow you to verify if you have unclaimed funds via email.
- Send an email
- All the important information about you should be included
- Please explain why you are reaching out to the State Treasurer
- Send the email to email@example.com
- Wait for their reply and follow-up instructions
How to Find Unclaimed Money in Kansas Using the Phone
Call 785-296-4165 to find out if Kansas has unclaimed assets. You can tell customer service representatives the reason for your call and ask them if they can search for unclaimed assets using your name of yours.
How to Look For Kansas Unclaimed Money By Mail
You can also search for unclaimed assets in Kansas. To do this, send a letter to Kansas State Treasurer Unclaimed Property Division at 900 SW Jackson, Suite 200, Topeka, Kansas 66612-1235. Be sure to tell them why you are contacting them and ask them to search for any unclaimed money.
UncalimedMoney Can Help You With Many Issues
UnclaimedMoney helps you find the right study in Kansas City for your health issues. UnclaimedMoney can help you dispute parking tickets at Kansas University.
The first robot lawyer in the world explains how to get a refund or chargeback to save money.