Did you know that each state in the United States has vast amounts of money that its citizens do not claim? You could be one of the 11 million Washington residents with a right to a piece of $1.3 billion in treasure. The Department of Revenue keeps the money.

If you’re having financial difficulties, the average amount of unclaimed funds per owner is between $25 and $100. If you aren’t already looking for abandoned funds, this guide will help you learn more about how to locate and claim them.

Unclaimed Money Explained in Washington State

Unclaimed Money in Washington State

Before we explain the different methods you can use to locate long-lost money, let’s define unclaimed money.

Unclaimed money is a tangible or intangible property not found by financial institutions (holders). Banks, insurance companies, or similar organizations must report unclaimed funds to the state in such cases.

After the so-called “dormancy period,” the found money becomes abandoned, and the state takes over as its custodian until the owner files for a claim to retrieve it.

What qualifies as unclaimed money?

The Department of Revenue account has a ten-figure amount. It includes many types of unclaimed money from different sources. The average period when uncollected funds in Washington State become abandoned is three years. However, this limit often depends on the type of property.

Below is a table listing the most commonly unclaimed funds and their dormancy periods.

Type of Unclaimed Funds Dormancy Period
Abandoned bank account funds Three years
Uncashed payroll checks Three years
Forgotten insurance money Three years
Money orders Five years
Uncollected customer refunds One year
Safe deposit boxes Five years
Stocks, shares, and dividends Three years
Wages and unpaid salaries One year
Unclaimed money from deceased relatives Three years
Traveler’s checks 15 years

Why don’t Washington State residents claim their funds?

Many people are unaware that they have left behind hundreds or even thousands of dollars. These situations are often caused by difficulties contacting the owners or unforeseen circumstances.

These are some scenarios that could be possible:

We will help you determine if there is unclaimed money if you can remember any of these events.

Unclaimed money helps you find unclaimed funds in no time.

It is difficult and time-consuming to go through the claim process independently. UnclaimedMoney will help you locate your Washington state unclaimed funds and file a claim for you!

Open UnclaimedMoney on your web browser, and then follow these steps:

  1. Locate the Missing Money feature
  2. Enter your name, middle and current addresses.
  3. If you cannot find your funds in the search results, click Claim My Property.

The app’s search engine includes all federal and state databases. It only takes a few clicks to get the best results. If you have lived elsewhere, it will help you locate unclaimed money in the U.S. States.

How to Find and Claim Your Washington State Funds on Your Own

Two steps are required to recover your funds by yourself: finding unclaimed funds that you own and filing a claim.

How to Find Unclaimed Money In Washington State via The Department of Revenue

Search in the Department of Revenue database to find unclaimed funds in Washington.

These are the steps involved in the procedure:

  1. Click Search and enter your first and last names on the homepage.
  2. Click on any property you think might be yours.
  3. To confirm that the property belongs to you, check other information, such as its physical address.

You can claim your funds if all the details in the record match yours.

ClaimYourCash.org – How to Claim Your Washington State Money

After you have made sure that the funds are yours, you may file a claim.

  1. Online
  2. Via the mail

Below is a table that outlines the instructions for each method:




  1. Click on “Pursue Claim”
  2. To confirm your identity, sign in to SecureAccess Washington.
  3. Fill out the form and attach any supporting documentation to the “Provide Proof” page.
  4. Send the form

Via Mail

  1. Select the Mail option on the Provide Proof page
  2. Print the claim form, and make copies of any supporting documentation.
  3. Send the completed form by mail to: the Department of Revenue Unclaimed Property Section PO BO Box 47477 Olympia WA 98504-7477

What supporting documents do you need to claim your funds?

To confirm that you are the owner of the unclaimed property, the State of Washington will require your information. You will need to provide evidence of your name, address, and Social Security number.

Unless you request stocks or mutual funds, the Department of Revenue typically takes around 60 days for your documentation to be processed. The process can be a bit longer in these cases.

Also Read: